Interview: Jackkrit Anantakul

The Man Behind The Design

Have you seen designs or types on food wrappers, magazines, drinks cans, or other products? Have you ever thought who are the people behind all the amazing and creative things? I will introduce one of the graphic designers from Bangkok who have creative ideas. Jackkrit Anantakul! There will probably be more great types coming from there, so make sure you that you read this interview well.

Who are you Jackkrit Anantakul? 
Jackkrit Anantakul (born 1979) is the graphic designer who established Design Reform Council; an off beat design studio based in Bangkok. Jackkrit has touched by various inspiration works. At the present time, he has been creating tradition graphic design in print media, time based media, performance and concert. He is also working extensively on sound design and directing music video. He is often called experimenter by his colleagues. Jackkrit recently joined YouWorkForThem one of the best American firms based in Bangkok, Thailand as a senior art director. He continues producing all kind of materials involved with type and sometime spills over to type design as well. In the near future he will start his new projects. Also, teaching in Bangkok University.

What do you think about design and art? 
I think design it base idea for solve a problem. But art.. Sometimes artist just to need make a question, represent or expression for something.

 

You started to drawing... What made you want to start design?
When I have idea for communicate something with people. Or sometime it can solve my problem. It can make me slow and think about it.


"I think design it base idea for solve a problem. But art.. Sometimes artist just to need make a question, represent or expression for something"


Where did you born? Where you live now?
I born in 'Chiang Mai'. It north in my country. Some people say 'Chiang Mai' are second metro city in thailand but slower and nature. Now, I'm live in Bangkok.

What does a typical workday for you look like?
I work for YouWorkForThem 10am-6pm. and comeback start to work on my personal works and my clients on 7 pm to 12 pm. But next month comeback to work for my own studio full time. On saturday I teaching in Bangkok University.





Can you tell us about the artworks of artists in Thailand?
Now, street art very popular in thailand. Everyone have to do it. For me its good but I need more variety not go same direction. 

Your works design is very interesting. Please, talk about developing your simple and playful works..
My work base in typography, graphic and illustration. When I working it hard to explain.  Ammm.. I would say that things which mostly influence me are some stories I bump into along my way of working, something I have gained while engaging with some projects. And I could carry them to work with my other personal projects as well.
There is always a surprise during my experiment or some new direction bursting when I am working on the same thing over and over again. It is fun to meet unordinary things unforseenly because excitement is a tasteful sauce for life when boredom is boring and a routine life is lacking. So I try to enjoy what is out of the plan, play and work with it and while I am busy developing this, I’ll meet more surprises coming right up all the time. And this keeps me from getting worn out and dry!





Gavin and Gavin Alt


Gavin and Gavin Alt

 "I always love colors on television screen and films which are quite distorted but unique. So, in these artworks, you would surely find some faults and some difference in each piece. And the sound I composed would be more analogue than digital sensation"



Is there your favorite piece of all your works? Can you explain the process of the work to us?
Actually every works is my favorite because It make different of experience. But if say what work success in this year. I think this project 'Hear Here'. I designed for BACC (Bangkok Art And Culture Centre). Hear Here is sound installation art. Client want to represent sound by visual. It very challenge for me.

The highlight for this project is all key visuals we have used such as typeface, posters and images for promoting our exhibition through social networks and publications. Once these artworks had been sent, people received their voices as if they could literally speak. And this perfectly matches my original purpose for Hear Here project commission, to focus on how to design an installation exhibition about audio and sound.
H e a r   H   e r e







The most impressive thing for this project is also how I have learned, tried and improved. Actually, 80% of my first sketch was totally accepted by the client, which hardly happens in our industry. But we had limited budget and only one-week process. I had to finish a special handed out agenda right in time before the opening event. So I chose the Xerox process which I could do it by myself. Then I went out to get some materials like various types and sizes of papers to do my quirky low budget experiment. Even for the invitation cards were painted with highlight markers by our hands! This is what the machine can never for us, a special authentic handcraft.

And my inspiration connects with my personal dream to compose my own music, combining with those imperfect images and sound I have ever seen like some pictures from damaged films and cassette tape or even from a bad tv signal.

This interest seems dominant when I was a sophomore in 2000. I started collecting damaged films from video recorder and other possibly recording methods. Then I did some experiment with a scanner. So my thesis was quite obsessed with audio along with those flawed images in my custody. I also created my own piece of music instead of using others because it was fresher and more fun. And when two elements met and matched, I was there as a conductor and they were like a great harmony. It was somehow a perfect combination of imperfection.
Computer Arts (Thailand) Magazine

 
Designed for Wallpaper* and CG plus magazine

For colors as well as silk screening technique used for posters, I meant to make it a craft. I always love colors on television screen and films which are quite distorted but unique. So, in these artworks, you would surely find some faults and some difference in each piece. And the sound I composed would be more analogue than digital sensation

Are the things that make you excited to work on your works? Which designers have influenced you?
I think for me I very excited with new experience. I can know new people. I can share and lean by people and experimental my work. My favorite designer is Paul Rand, Alan Fletcher and Bauhaus's designer.

Thankyou, Jackkrit!


credit
Typography in Water
Designed for YouWorkForThem
www.youworkforthem.com

YWFT Gavin & Gavin Alt
Design Exclusive for YouWorkForThem
www.youworkforthem.com
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

आप कुछ बाहर थूक चाहिए कृपया.

Followers

© anzimatta. Powered by Blogger.